Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Getting of The Tree

 Going out a cutting a Christmas tree is something I really look forward to, this year was no exception but it ended up being kind of stressful getting there. I don't know why it was so hard to do this year but with only a few hours of daylight, sick kids and lots of other things going on it just kept getting delayed, and I kept getting frustrated- I wanted my tree!!
So thankfully it finally happened and it was a wonderful outing but...the tree is still not decorated- ARRGH! We got it last Friday left it to thaw out and went to decorate of Saturday but the lights didn't work. Sunday I went to town but the only store open is the grocery store which of course was sold out of lights, so had to wait until Monday to get the lights. But Monday night I have book club so it didn't happen, tonight the neighbor kids came over to decorate cookies and tomorrow Jeff has a meeting in the evening so it looks like our next chance is Thursday. Oh well, at least I got my tree.


The boys felt it was important to bring the heavy machinery.


I felt it was important to bring a rugged Alaskan man to chop the tree down.


Alaska is not the mecca for the big full beautiful trees that your used to. You will never find Black Spruce for sale an any parking lot at Christmas time. But this one was free and growing right on our property.  And even though we had to cut down a 30 ft tree just to use the top 8ft, the base is only 3inches in diameter so it is a real pain to get to fit into any normal stand, and its a little thin and scraggy- this is the kind of tree we have come to love.




We brake for snow angels.



The rugged man also comes in handy for carrying the tree home because the sled is filled with boys and their machinery.

And who knew rugged men could be convinced to build wreaths??  Notice how he is holding it out using the "big fish method".


Stay tuned for the decorating of the tree!!!

No comments: